What is the Temperament Assessment?
A temperament assessment is a trial to see if daycare is a good fit for your dog. Our experienced staff assesses how your dog responds to a new environment, new people and ultimately new dogs. We carefully introduce other dogs to determine your dog’s sociability, play style, anxiety, fear and their response to the new experience.
The test provides us with a strong suggestion whether or not daycare is a good fit for your dog. Our ultimate goal is to ensure that each dog has a safe, positive experience during every visit.
Dog’s that present inappropriate behavior such as dominance, aggression, mounting, fear, constant barking and or anxiety are often not a good fit for daycare and the owners are notified accordingly.
Your dog must pass our temperament test before they can be accepted into daycare.
The temperament test cost is $15. NOTE: This is a non-refundable service if your dog does not pass the temperament test.
All of the Ruff House clients must register an online account to schedule a temperament assessment.
1) Register online by clicking RESERVE NOW (at the bottom of this page) and filling out the required information for yourself and your dog.
2) Ensure you have up to date vaccination papers available to upload or bring in to your assessment including; DHPP, Rabies and Bordetella (Kennel cough).
NOTE: We need 7 days from the initial Bordetella vaccination to the assessment.
RABIES VACCINATION NOTE: Puppies under 4 months may not be old enough for the Rabies vaccine - no problem!
3) Complete your registration online by filling out the required information and adding your pet or pet(s) by completing the questionnaire. This information gives us a alot of information on how to introduce your dog once they arrive to the assessment and daycare.
Booking the Temperament Assessment
1) Once your registration is complete and you are in your online account you can click the “BOOK NOW” button and select Temperament Test.
2) Alternatively to book the assessment after you have registered you can reply to your registration email, call the Ruff House or email firstname.lastname@example.org to have us walk you through how our online booking system works.
3) Temperament Assessmments are scheduled by appointment. Walk-ins cannot be accomodated.
4) AVAILABLE TIMES: M-F between 10:30am and 3pm and Saturdays from 9:30am - 4pm. The assessments are scheduled around heavy pick up and drop off times to ensure easy entry and exit for nervous and new dogs.
Other Assessment FAQ’s
How long is the assessment? We walk through our daycare waiver and rules with yourself and take your dog into our daycare environment to simulate what it would be like coming to the Ruff House and being dropped off. The total process takes about 20 minutes.
Can I leave my dog with you if they pass? We ask that you book this ahead of time when booking your assessment online. We always need to staff correctly for the right amount of dogs.
What is my dog does not pass the assessment? Our experienced staff will provide you feedback about your dog’s experience. Sometimes daycare does not fit all dog’s personalities and all of our decisions are made for the safety of your dog and the other dog’s attending daycare.
What if my dog is just nervous? We are happy to work with nervous dogs. Sometimes daycare can be a great experience for them and in that case we may suggest shorter stints to get your dog used to the environment and staff. Some of our happiest pups started out being a bit nervous and warmed up given a chance to come out of their shell in a safe and fun place!